Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Music notes for January 2006

Sorry for the short notes this time, but much to do...

Octavarium by Dream Theater -- A bit disappointing, but growing on me. It is okay, I suppose, for the general fan of metal/hard rock, but I expect better from this group. However, the epic title track is fantastic.

East/West by Bill Frisell -- I enjoy this two disc set, but had trouble hearing parts of it. The idea is interesting (live sets from two different coasts and two slightly different groups). But it reminds me of a bootleg I got hold of a few years ago where long passages seemed to be nearly silent.

Reissue of Wes Montgomery's Smokin' At the Half Note -- The original is one of the greatest jazz recordings of all time. This version, remastered with some material that had been originally left off, is even better. How anyone could think leaving off Montgomery's versions of "Misty" and "Impressions" is beyond my understanding. My only problem is the talking. There isn't banter between musicians here, which might have been interesting, but mostly someone that sounds like he took his job of introducing the band too much to heart. Shut up and let these cats play!

Spread Love Like Wildfire by Down to the Bone -- Funky. Really, really funky. I enjoyed this.

Possibilities by Herbie Hancock -- I'm surprised this disc isn't turning Herbie Hancock into a major pop star. It is fun to listen to, and while I prefer a more straight ahead jazz thing, this should be generating a larger audience.

It's On Tonight by Brian Culbertson -- I got this by accident, and it feels like one. This smooth jazz thing is like reliving a car crash right after a train wreck caused when an airplane fell out of the sky.

No comments: