Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Noetic Prayer and Verse

Love's Immensity: Mystics on the Endless LifeLove's Immensity: Mystics on the Endless Life by Scott Cairns
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Love's Immensity is a wonderful collection of sayings, encouragement, wisdom, and observations from many of Christianity's most influential mystics, all put into accessible and often time powerful verse by Scott Cairns. While some of the poems are a bit prosy for me, the overall collection is delightfully edifying.

Making poems of these wonderful words is certainly more than putting line in breaks in, and Cairns handles the task with the aplomb he puts into crafting his own marvelous verse. These poems are not only quite readable, but they seem to take into account the need to be aware of ones breathing and focus, as they not only discuss, but become part of the noetic prayer of the reader who is open to it. For those outside of religious tradition, I think the poems offer unique insight into the world of the mind and spirit.

I believe I will return to this book several times. For anyone on a spiritual journey, this volume is a fine companion.

View all my reviews

No comments: