Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Just When America Seemed Lost to the Grouchs

America Again: Re-becoming the Greatness We Never Weren'tAmerica Again: Re-becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't by Stephen Colbert
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Certainly any fan of the The Colbert Report is going to enjoy this book, a zany extension of the television show. But will it be funny to those who don't watch the program? I suppose that depends on how much the reader is comfortable with satire. More and more people seem to take everything literally (thank you arts cutting jerks and literature killing legislators!), so I can't be sure.

I can say that I thought the book was very funny. Perhaps not as hilarious as the show, but funny nonetheless. Chapters on Jobs, Healthcare, and Elections will have fans of the show rolling. But I also enjoyed the sections on Food, Wall Street, and the chapter that should have ended the book "Easy Solutions." (The hysterical "I Am Drunk" chapter, I think, should have been in the middle of the book instead of at the end.)

All in all, this was a fun read. If there is anything Americans really need, it's more laughter. America Again delivers plenty of that.

View all my reviews

No comments: