Thursday, September 02, 2004

Listening to: classical music on WRR. Was in the mood for Pat Metheny's One Quiet Night, but had some trouble with my computer. Too bad. Great album for the stress I've felt this week.

Last Friday, I had to request my transcript from college. This was more of an annoyance than anything else since my credentials had already been accepted (as far as I knew) from the review committee. There isn't a question about the credentials however, but about officialness of the document. Eastfield is in the process of its SACS work and the process is very stressful. No wonder it is done only every ten years.

So far, I like my classes and they seem to like me. Working to communicate my assignments better. I have to accept that no matter how hard I work at it, some students are going to struggle with the assignments. Tried to stress today and yesterday that it is harder to understand writing assignments if one intends to see the essay as a one-shot deal where the finished paper is in the head before any composition occurs. One must begin the work for some things to become clear.

Don't know what the heck is going on with my foot. By the end of the day it hurts like the dickens. Neck has been sore and tender too.

I think that after years of not voting, I will actually participate in this election. And I hate that a single issue is driving that decision, but I am really upset at the state of a country that cannot tolerate dissent. And I cannot understand a leader who openly works to squash dissent.

Have not done much writing the past few days. Made some notes here and there, but I've got a list of things to do at school that gets longer instead of shorter each day. How very aggravating!

John's retirement party is this weekend. He has been up here closer for a few months but he will be officially retired from service in the Coast Guard. So odd. He is almost a year younger than me, and is retiring and I feel I've barely begun my career. Maybe I've haven't been living right. Seriously, I'm proud of John and really excited that he is able to start a couple new chapters in his life. Also glad he and his terrific family are a lot closer so we can see them more often.

Angela is at school and seems to be happy (except for her mumbling Biology professor). I got her an ethernet cable for her pc, and suddenly I was super dad. If I'd only known it was that easy!

Can't tell you, gentle readers, how excited I have been this week to discover that some 7-11 stores between home and work are now carrying Diet Rite Cola. The diet soft drinks made by the RC people are the only ones I know of that use Splenda instead of nutrisweet (which is not really that good for you). These are also the only diet soft drinks that actually taste like colas. Okay, perhaps this isn't the most startling news of the day, but it is pretty exciting to me. Most convenience stores carry the major diet drinks, and most also have regular RC Cola. But until now, a Diet RC or Diet Rite has been hard to find. So, 7-11, Uncle Mike thanks you.

Reading? Have not had much energy to read the hard stuff I started, but I'm not giving up. I did discover a used bookstore in Rockwall called Roma's Preread Books. There I found paperbacks of Deborah Crombie's All Shall Be Well and Some Days You Get The Bear by Lawrence Block. So if I decide to take a break from the hard stuff, I still have these two. Deb's novel is one of her early ones. I've read a few of hers and really love them. The Block book is a collection of short stories. I think Block is pretty good at short fiction while most other mystery writers manage to merely take up space. Of course, he's no slouch as a novelist.

Well, I better go for now. I have quizzes to grade and one to write. Enjoy the day!

No comments: